Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sinful Veggie Burgers & Baked French Fries

I received a Soft Box as a Christmas gift to help out with my food photography.  I am sooo not a photographer, so hopefully this will help give me some creative inspiration and make my pictures look better.  I really don't know how to properly use it yet but I am practicing.  I decided I needed a meal that had ingredients with great colors and varying textures to try it out for the first time.  For some time now I have been wanting to attempt to  replicate 24 Diner's veggie burger.  It is one of the best I have tasted  as it is made from beets, various seeds & nuts, mushrooms and lots of other really yummy healthy ingredients.  Pretty much anything from 24 Diner is amazing, and best of all they are always open!  If you have never been I highly recommend it.

Bacon, Beets, Lemon, Tomato, Mushrooms, Challah bread, Eggs, Micro Greens, Sunflower Seeds, Golden Flax Seeds, Lentils, Pumpkin Seeds & Potatoes
I heart micro greens!


Sunflower Seeds, Golden Flax Seeds, Pumpkin Seeds & Lentils

Chopped mushrooms, ready to be added to burger ingredients

Cooking the lentils

One of the best things I have ever tasted - Brown Sugar Bacon.  I took bacon and placed it in a bag with mustard and brown sugar.  It was tossed to be completely coated and then put on parchment paper.  Bake in oven at 375 degrees until crispy.  OMG - heaven.

It may not be the the "proper" way to poach an egg but I always use the microwave.  This is how I watched my mom poach eggs when I was a child, and it has always been fool-proof in my experience.  Fill a small microwave safe dish with water, add a splash of white vinegar and gently pour the egg in the water.  Cover with a plastic baggie and cook for exactly 1 minute.  Always poached pretty much perfectly.

Roasted beets were the main ingredient in the burger patties.  After roasted and softened, add to food processor with other ingredients.

Beets, ground flax seeds, mushrooms, lentils, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds.  Cooked rice was folded in later.


This is what made the burger sinful.  My idea was to put the bacon on the salad, but it turned out so delicious I decided to add it to the "veggie" burgers :-)  Oopsie!

Patties, made and ready to go.  They were a little softer than I would have liked so I let them sit in the fridge for about 30 minutes to firm up in order to cook them more easily.

Challah bread - sweet, buttery and yummy.

The burgers were topped with slices of goat cheese.




What's a veggie burger without thick slices of bacon??

I almost forgot about my oven fries.  They weren't so bad, either. 

2 comments:

  1. I hope you'll call me to sample the bacon next time you make it :) -Stace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely going to have to try that bacon sometime!

    ReplyDelete