Monday, February 14, 2011

Artisan Sausage Dogs, Green Chili Mac & Kale Chips

In honor of Valentine's Day I am posting this meal.  It is definitely near the top of my list of all time favorites.  Anyone lucky enough to live in Austin knows about Frank.  Their amazing sausage dogs and decadent fries are enough to make anyone fall in love.  If you have never been, get there.  If you don't live in Austin it's a must do next time you visit.  This meal was inspired by their brilliance.
As many Texans, we have somehow found ourselves with an entire deer in our freezer.  Neither of us come from hunting families so this is very new to us.  I feel like Lucy in the "I Love Lucy" episode when she and Ethel each purchase an entire side of beef for their new freezer.  Seriously, I don't know what most of these cuts are and how to use them but I am definitely going to try.  Attempting to take it easy on myself, I decided sausage would be the easiest way to ease into the venison world.  So here you have it...
*Grilled Venison Sausage on Horseradish Aioli smeared Whole Wheat Poppy Seed Bun, topped with Blueberry Compote, Applewood Smoked Cheddar & Fried Onion
*Green Chili Mac & Cheese
*Crispy Kale Chips



You can make these crispy veggie treats out of any thick leafy green.  We had kale in the garden so that is what I used.  De-rib and wash the kale first.

Chop into bite sized pieces.

I tossed them in a plastic bag with a light spray of olive oil, garlic powder and black pepper.  You can really get creative with different seasonings, grated cheeses, minced nuts, etc.




Spread thinly on cookie sheets and bake at 350 degrees 10-15 minutes or until just slightly browned.  Use caution keeping and eye out,  because they cook quickly and easily burn.

Horseradish Aioli = egg yolks, vinegar, salt, sugar, pepper evoo, horseradish, LOTS of garlic

Blueberry Compote reducing = blueberries, water, sugar, lemon juice

Bechamel for macaroni and cheese = milk, garlic, butter, flour, cheese, salt, pepper

Mix in cooked elbow macaroni and a can (or two) of chopped green chiles.

When I am feeding a large crowd I cook my macaroni in a casserole dish, however since it was just the two of us I decided to make individual portions.  Individual in my kitchen means, enough to feed 2 or 3!  Top with more cheese and paprika, then pop in the oven at 375 degrees until golden and bubbly.

More cheese, of course.  Shredded Applewood Cheddar for topping the dogs.

Venison sausage.  Thanks Cody!

Kale greens, ready to go.  Seriously a wonderful snack to keep around if you are a "salty rather than sweet" kind of snacker like me.  Totally low calorie, nutritious and delicious.


Oh dear....



Grilled Venison Sausage on Horseradish Aioli smeared Whole Wheat Poppy Seed Bun, topped with Blueberry Compote, Applewood Smoked Cheddar & Fried Onion





The classy and almost famous coffee table dining room making another appearance.


No comments:

Post a Comment