Saturday, February 12, 2011

Stuffed Fried Chicken


Okay, so this is one of those meals that you feel guilty for even cooking. I wouldn't recommend eating dishes this decadent more than once a year (okay, maybe once a month or once a week). Don't get me wrong, there are vegetables involved. However the fact that the vegetables are stuffed in chicken, topped with cheese, wrapped in bacon and then deep fried evoke that good old "Texas State Fair" feeling. You know, the one of extreme guilt for indulging that is trumped by how amazing it tastes.


Here is the healthy part.  Fresh spinach, artichokes, onions and mushrooms par-cooked in olive oil.


Chicken breasts were halved and flattened.  Then, they were slathered with a mixture of mayonnaise and mustard.  Seriously.  Topped with the veggie mixture and shredded cheese, they are ready to be wrapped in thick cut bacon.

One thing I would do differently next time would be to slightly cook the bacon first in order for a more crispy texture.

In order to prevent our house from smelling like a fast food joint, I refuse to fry anything inside.  I always fry in a cast iron skillet on the grill or plug in the deep fryer outside.  For ease of preparation and timing sake, I sometimes like to batter and the put the items to be fried in the fridge and allow to chill until I am ready to fry.

Ta-dah.

Must have salad.

Rosemary honey baby carrots.

I am sure you have noticed a trend that most of my meals include some sort salad.  I subscribe to the thought that a salad with every meal keeps you trim and the doctor away :-)


I wish I had a better picture of the inside.  It was oh so delicious.  I am sure you can imagine!

1 comment:

  1. I share your philosophy about salad each night. I'm afraid if I had the chance, though, I'd eat your chicken dish at least three times a week. It looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete